Child & Youth
Children and youth are an integral part of our work at Calgary Counselling Centre. Families have been seeking our help for individual, group and family counselling as well as play therapy for over 50 years. The Centre offers two children groups – Responsible Choices for Children and Children of Divorce. Additionally, we offer two youth specific groups for depression and self-esteem.
Children of Divorce
Divorce can be a traumatic experience for all involved, particularly for children. This group is designed to help reduce the trauma from divorce or separation in children. Both children and parents partake in the group. The focus is on mutual support and the development of effective coping and adaptive skills for life situations.
- Support children through their process of healing
- Address loss and grief issues related to the divorce and separation
- Educate parents regarding developmental expectations of their children
- Address individual coping tasks, enhance strengths
- Improve parent-child communication
- Renegotiate boundaries in parent-child relationships
- Integrate experience for children and parents; moving from distress to resilience
- Develop a co-parenting relationship
The child must first have a one-on-one session with their counsellor to assess their individual case and evaluate if this program is a good fit. At least one parent is required to enroll in the program to learn how to support the changes their child is making; however both parents are encouraged to participate.
Responsible Choices for Children
This program is designed to help children with abusive or aggressive behaviours at home or at school. The goal of the program is to help children and parents develop the skills they need to modify behaviours that occur as a result of biological factors, developmental factors, and family or environmental factors.
- Avoiding confrontation
- Managing anger and frustration
- Alternatives to abuse and violence
- Respecting oneself and others
- Responding to peer pressure
The child must first have a one-on-one session with their counsellor to assess their individual case and evaluate if this program is a good fit. At least one parent is required to attend a simultaneous program to learn how to support the changes their child is making; however both parents are encouraged to participate.
Calgary Counselling Centre recognizes that self-esteem concerns can impact almost every aspect of life. Our Self Esteem program will help you strengthen your sense of self, make healthy life choices and gives you the tools to achieve your full potential. Each group consists of 12 two-hour sessions and is for adults of all genders. It offers three groups:
- Building confidence
- Challenging negative thoughts
- Acknowledging personal strengths
- Creating and maintaining healthy relationships
- Establishing and maintaining boundaries
- Strengthening self-awareness
- Challenging body image stereotypes